For those of you ladies who missed the BEING ME Conference held at MATRADE Exhibition Centre on the 30th June 2012, here are my notes that I managed to jot down. Unfortunately, I don't have notes from all speakers though. Hopefully everyone can benefit from this post, insyaAllah. ;)
Session 1: Free from all other masters – Empowering women
Speaker: Yasmin Mogahed (USA)
· Prevalent standard of a woman: man & beauty
· In Islam, the rightful standard; the relationship with God
· Scale of rightneous and pious
· Men à only a companion, not a saviour
· We are here not to please man, but to God alone!
· What you seek is not a worldly material
· Journey begins at marriage, where your spouse will become the greatest test
· There are 2 types of love
o Getting all that you wanted
o Not about what you are getting but of what you are giving; selfless love
· Love for men is inconsistent
Session 2: Achieving balance inside out
Speaker: Sheikh Yahya Ibrahim
· In going through our lives, there are 2 extremes; either ADDITION or NEGATION. We must try to achieve balance between dunya and akhirah.
§ Too extreme in performing ibadah to Allah(e.g 24 hours always pray, no sleep, fast everyday), neglecting other dunya responsibilitiesà they will become misguided people.
§ Why is this? Because the ibadah they have done will not touch/soften their hearts as their ibadah is only of the outer experience. Instead of Ya Allah (Please guide me through this … etc …), will become Why Allah (Why me Allah? I have performed ibadah day and night, but why do you give me this … etc …)
§ Only living for dunya, neglecting akhirah à Obviously sinful
· Iman tends/can fade away, therefore we must always ask for iman to revitalize in your heart. Ask from Allah!
· Sometimes, the heart can also break. It is a shame if it breaks for other than Allah. Moreover if it is broken by someone who doesn’t love Allah, it is far way terrible/horrible.
· At times, we may love something else more than Allah. Then need to sit back and reflect on yourself.
· Always trust Allah is there to guide us through.
· Take lessons from what you see around you. Never will Allah let you get away unchallenged!
· Tip: Read 3 times surah Al-Ikhlas, get pahala of reading whole Quran. Read 10 times, a palace is built for you in Jannah.
Session 4: The power of change
Speaker: Dr Fadilah Grine
· Most important thing about change: IDEA/PERCEPTION
· Feel the fear of changing because that is your enemy!
· Remember that
o If we only fear Allah: we tend to become extremist
o If we only love Allah: we tend to disobey Him
o If we fear & love Allah: a good balance!
· People are able to twist religion. Eg; cultural aspects etc.
· Allah will never change somebody unless they change what is in themselves.
· Change is a process that comes from within
· The Rasul always istighfar 100 times/day
· In order to change, we must have plans and goals that you need to achieve.
· Change step by step, not all at one go.
· No delay, no negotiation, must change to a better person!
Session 5: Do we really love Allah the most?
Speaker: Yasmin Mogahed
· Love is like a lawsuit à you need evidence
· The heart is only for God, and for Him alone. If it is not, the need to shift/change.
· If the heart is only for man, remember that marriage is only half of deen.
· Whatever lives in the heart describe you. Askthese questions to yourself
o What are you most afraid of losing?
o What do you think of when you wake up?
o What do you think of when you go to sleep?
o What do you think during solah?
· Love speaks for itself!